Skip to main content

April 26, 2020


It's been a super long time since I've felt like I had absolutely nothing to do, have been bored out of my mind, stuck in the same place without any ability to DO anything I want to do. I felt that way when I broke my foot and had already watched everything that looked interesting, and also with every one of my confined to a sofa pregnancies. With all the crazy we are dealing with, a fresh batch of boredom sounds almost refreshing right now, but I wouldn't welcome it if I had it. I'm sure there are a lot of people right now who can relate to the bored-out-of-my-mind sentiment though.

Shannon's Sunday's are like that. She's stuck in a box- her room, isolated from everyone and everything. Sure, no therapies mean no work and she can get much needed rest. She tells me she just stares at the walls all day. Rest can make you restless for something- ANYTHING.  Most Sunday's are pretty low-key at our house these days, and we have a lot of time to chat with her. But today, we had a lot of zoom meetings going on, which we should've skipped, and we also have other kids, believe it or not, that need attention. Shannon calls all of us at home the Home Skillet. Today we were tending to the Home Skillet. So she didn't get the attention I wanted her to have. It's a struggle juggling all of this- and I'm the first to admit that my youngest is a bit invisible right now, which I absolutely hate. I am only one person and I've never been more frustrated by that in my life. I wish I could be more, but I can't. 

Many of you have asked what you can do to help us. This. This is what we need, what Shannon needs. People. She can talk now- which makes it waaaaaaay less frustrating on both ends of a conversation than before. And she loves her people. Text her and ask if she's free to FaceTime, especially on the weekends when she's not busy all day with therapy. If she's available, chat for a bit. She misses you. She misses all of us and all of it! Tell her about your crazy current life, chat about books, and movies, and school, and food, and memes, and all of it. She would LOVE it. And I would feel like I didn't have to be everything for everyone every second of the day.

Tonight we broke out the commercial soft serve machine (that's a story of it's own)- a treat I've been promising all the little people at my house recently. Lancer suggested we call our neighbors to help eat it since the minimum batch is more than we will eat, so I did. We had drive up frozen yogurt, and it was so great to see people. While chatting from 6 feet away with some of our friends, Krisha brought out the phone that Shannon was FaceTiming on, and Shannon was able to say hello to a couple of her friends. She loved it! She needs it. Be her people.

Today Shannon did some physical therapy- turning in her bed, and leg stretches. She also had art therapy. Look at this adorable Toothless painting!


She also played tennis on Wii sports. :)

Tomorrow is another full day, and she will be exhausted again, I'm sure. I'm so glad she gets the weekend to rest and recuperate. We all need our Sunday's!

Please pray for Shannon to have the endurance and patience with herself to do the therapies she needs, for her core and neck muscles to strengthen, for her breathing to continue to improve so she doesn't need the track, for her to be happy and understanding of what her body needs at this time, for her spinal cord to heal, and for her to feel the love of her family and friends. Don't stop praying yet. Shannon needs us, all of us! Today is exactly 6 weeks from her accident. Unbelievable, but true. Miracles have been happening, and she still needs more.

Today's Meme:



When it comes to confinement, Genie puts it best:

. "Oi! Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck!"

Disney's -Aladdin


Comments

  1. I love this post. I feel your frustration and we are praying for you! I'll talk to Lily about Face Timing Shannon. I know they have only met a few times, but they can definitely gel over love of Emperor's New Groove!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment