Skip to main content

June 16, 2020

We have always loved the young adults who serve religious missions in our home area. We love having them spend time with us and show us by example the importance of living a Christ-like life. And we especially love when they come visit us afterward! This sweetheart here- in the black blouse is Natalie. She’s a keeper. I loved the example she was to my girls, Shannon included. Fast forward a few years, and Shannon was off serving a mission as well. Thus far, five of our 8 kids have served one. It’s basically the best thing in the world, for them, and for us. Shannon went to Colorado Springs. She loved it some days, and didn’t love it others. I think that’s one of the best things she experienced during her mission. Some days are amazing, and some days.....just aren’t. But the cool thing is we get a new day every 24 hours to start over.

Today wasn’t awful, but there was a part of the day Shannon, and to be honest, *I* didn’t enjoy. Her PT texted to say she would be over in 5 mins. She told us last week she was shooting for Tuesday, but no call the night before. I assumed, wrong, that she wasn’t coming. We had LBJ and his mini crew over working on the basement. I had other things I needed to get done. And so Shannon was left to do therapy alone. That sounds fine- she’s 20 years old. But her PT treats her like she’s 5. She tries to make her do things she already knows how to do perfectly well; but instead of listening to Shannon explain how she does it normally- (like how she transfers from chair to bed) the PT comes up with her own way. Her way is probably great for someone who doesn’t already have a way that is working really well.

 An hour and a super salty Shannon later, I strolled into the room. Shannon gave me ‘the look’. The ‘how could you leave me with this idiot’ look. And I knew it hadn’t gone well. The PT looked at me and said ‘well, we reluctantly did a transfer to the bed and back to the chair’. I almost lost it. What? No Pig Latin? We aren’t going to try to hid the snarky comment from my innocent 5 year old’s understanding?  {sigh} No adult likes to be treated like a child. That was her first mistake. The next one was even better. She proceeded to try to convince Shannon to quit doing home care and go straight to outpatient. That would involve the PT being released from being Shannon’s therapist. I can fix that for her, but it won’t be by pushing Shannon into outpatient while we are still adjusting. I will be the first to admit that my cage shall not be rattled, and have it end well. But.... I didn’t yell at her (pats self on back). I told her we will continue with in-home for a while and we’d see her Friday, when I am available to be there. After a hard Monday, and a stressful Tuesday, we are ready for a 24 hour reset. I know we need to be more patient, more flexible. Tomorrow. :)

The bathroom now has a mirror, shower rod, towel rack, hook, tile fixed (again- it’s a purse for someone), and......no, that’s it. Sounds about finished? Nope. But the shower chair is still a week or more away- so that’s what we have left for time. Zach Attack helped with a lot of the work, and it looks so much better than when LBJ does it on his own ;)

We are still working on our Psych nightly marathon! Hope you are watching along!

Please pray for Shannon to be able to keep working hard and for her spinal cord to heal. 

‘Honey, where’s my super suit’ Lucious Best - Incredibles

Comments