Skip to main content

May 13, 2020

There are some kids in my family that enjoy road trips more than others. Shannon doesn't mind them at all. She really enjoys them for the most part. Almost every year for the past 7 years, we've made a road trip to FL to stay at our friend's house that I've mentioned before. There have been many adventures along the way- even when it's the exact same trip. One of our favorite ways to pass time is playing a game with a whiteboard. The kids pick sayings to write on them, and we try to get other people in cars to laugh. Some fun things they've written are "I speak Swedish Fish", "T-Rex crossing ahead", "Have you seen my lost unicorn?" and "my other car is a dragon". We stop at the ridiculous tourist trap South of the Border, pick up peaches in Georgia at a road side stand, and stay the night in Savannah. Shannon is the deejay, the snack server, the joke teller, the sanity shotgun rider. The trip down and back is as much fun as the time we spend there.

I'm not suggesting that this journey of ours is supposed to be filled with kicks and giggles. But I am suggesting that there are things to be learned and enjoyed. There are highs and lows with all of it. I spent the day with Shannon again today. I love to be with her all day, but I DO NOT love N-95 masks in the slightest. While I'm there, I learn how to help Shannon; but in order to learn how to help her, she has to do hard things so I can see how to assist with it. The day is packed with "things", I'm sure a couple of hours into it, Shannon is wishing I wasn't there.

We are neck deep in building out the basement, but there are so many people who are willing to help us and sacrifice their time to be here. (It's 11pm and there is still hammering and drilling going on down there- along with some classic rock playing) Those men have already worked a full day, but here they are saying "I love you and care about your family and Shannon" by attaching sheet rock to ceilings and sometimes cutting open their fingers on sheet rock knives. (so blood, sweat, and tears, for sure- but the tears are mostly mine)

And in this still struggling world of who knows what is going to happen in the future months- there are friends who have friends who are willing to do hvac work, who manage hardware stores and are willing to deeply discount the cost of building supplies, and countless other just plain good deeds. So it's hard to ignore the good when it's blaring in my face. It's hard to admit defeat when clearly there is still an army raging behind us.

Tonight, as I spoke with a friend who told me they should do more listening and less pontificating; I was reminded that *I* should do more listening, and less worrying. They told me that we are going to be okay. That others have traveled similar roads and have become better for it. That I need to find those kicks and giggles along the way, because we need the comic relief. That we only need to be strong enough for our portion of the drive, because we aren't doing it alone. And I was reminded that we currently have an endless supply of friends who are willing to do whatever we need to not just survive in this, but to thrive in it. So this journey isn't ours alone.

Today, I arrived bright and early to help Shannon get ready for the day. I wanted to do it myself so I can help her when she's home. She wasn't pleased that I was waking her up with my traditional "wakey, wakey, eggs and bakey" chant. She pulled up the blanket. So I did my rooster call in pure "Runaway Bride" fashion. It's a classic. It earned me my very first eye roll of the day.
As you can see from the photo, Shannon is, in fact, dressed. So, chalk one point for me on the scoreboard. 
Double points because I braided her hair for her.

Triple points because I did her nails.

Also-- look who didn't die when I moved her in the lift!! I am scoring ALL the points today.
And... can we talk about her new cute shoes!! I'll talk about them. They are super comfortable- I know, because I'm obsessed with them myself. Shannon told me "well, I can't feel them, so I'll just take your word for it". {insert eye roll from me here} 
I assisted with a chair to chair transfer today, and learned some nursing things that Shannon will need help with. I also learned the appropriate way to help Shannon on a ramp- should she need help. 

The bonus in this part of the story is that we called our friends who live a couple of blocks away and they went out on their balcony and we got to wave at them from the roof :) 

And, perhaps the highlight of my day: Shannon coaching her feet - which she named- off the bed again. Finding the giggles in this. 



Shannon could really use prayers to help her through this hard part of the journey. She needs prayers for faith, endurance and peace. Please also pray for her continued improvement with her breathing, and her overall strength to do her therapies. Thank you. :)

Three weeks left! Her calendar meme for today:


And Disney-

“Life is a journey to be experienced, not a problem to be solved.” – Pooh, Winnie The Pooh.


Comments