Skip to main content

May 21, 2020

Well, we just skipped straight to the great news!! JUNE 4TH is Shannon's INDEPENDENCE DAY!! Freedom from 11 weeks and 4 days in hospitals!! How does she feel about the news? Well, this photo is the perfect example of the excitement we saw in her today when she shared the info.

Clearly I survived the rest of sleepover night with Shannon, or you wouldn't be reading this. The rest of our night went as follows:
7pm- Shannon is sleeping. I write up the blog post of our amazing day.
9:30pm Shannon is sleeping. We wake her up to do some nursing care training.
10pm-midnight Shannon can't decide which Disney quote to use, I finally decide on the one we used.
12am - Shannon is texting. I'm learning how to turn her in bed, and how to do some of her nursing care. Shannon loses all faith in my abilities and does it for me. I'll try again next time. Shannon goes to sleep.
12:30am Shannon is sleeping. I'm wondering how anyone could claim the platform I am laying on could be called a mattress. A more likely name would be "countertop". Perhaps "Granite Countertop". At least I have my own pillow and blanket.
3am- Shannon is sleeping. I'm learning how to turn her in bed and do some of her nursing care.
6am- Shannon is sleeping. I'm turning her and doing her nursing care.
6:30am Shannon is sleeping. I've given up on sleep, so I might as well go change and get freshened up.
7am- Shannon is sleeping. I eat some of her crackers because I forgot to close the zipper on my thermal lunchbox (Rachael ;) and my breakfast didn't stay cold overnight.
7:30am- Shannon is sleeping. Her doctor comes in to see how she's doing. I fill out forms they gave us to work on .
8am- Shannon is sleeping. Her nurse drops off breakfast for Shannon. I go get some water.
8:15am. Shannon is sleeping. I wake her up with the nurses so she can get dressed, eat and get ready for therapy. Shannon says she's too tired to wake up.
WHAT???

After she decided to get up and grace us with her presence, we did something super fun! Car transfers!! We started with the car on the roof, but two other therapists started circling with their clients. It felt all "road kill with the turkey vultures", so we only did it once. She did a great job, especially considering she has had bad experiences (I HAD a BAD experience...) with using a transfer board in the past, and that's what she needed to use to get into the car.

Because of the vultures circling about, we had to call it quits. BUT THEN, I remembered I had the car Shannon will be riding in the most down in the parking garage. So we took a little field trip downstairs and Shannon was able to transfer into her favorite car- Toothless. 
She kind of freaked out when I told her not to scratch the new paint job. (Rob would kill us!!) She did a fantastic transfer and sat for a bit in the car. Then she turns to me and says "Mom quick! Jump in and let's get out of here!!!" :) I just love my girl. 

The other fun news for today is now that Shannon is trach-free....she can lay on her stomach!!! I know that's something strange to get excited about, but let me just share WHY this is such great news:

Shannon spends her day on her back or bum. She has to do weight shifts every three hours in bed, and every hour in her chair so she doesn't get pressure sores. That means at night, she has to be turned all night (of course- as noted above, she isn't as effected by night-time turning as her care givers are.).  But if she sleeps on her stomach, she can go for 6 hours straight on her stomach, with no other turning or repositioning!!!!! WOOT! That means if we can get all of her nursing stuff down to a strict schedule, we can both enjoy a solid six hour stretch with no waking!! 

She also did music, which she said she was too dead to do anything for, so you know she's tired. And speech was brain puzzles. Art she started a new project, which I'm super excited about. She facetimed her boyfriend Scott until she fell asleep. I'm guessing he just hung up when he saw she stopped responding.....maybe he just stared at her sleeping. Weirdo. (Just kidding Scott, about the watching her sleep. And the weirdo. Only a weido would watch her sleep, and I'm sure you weren't doing that. But if you were, I take back the "kidding about the weirdo part") 

When I left the hospital I headed to our friends around the corner- because THEY have condo with no children OR construction going on. They lent me their guestroom for a couple of hours for a much needed nap, did Shannon's laundry AND baked cookies to send home with me. I keep telling all of you how fantastic you are- and there you go, proving me right again. I'm always right. Need more proof? 

Well, this is done now aside from the rails which are on order, and the sides to cover the wood. That was done by my brother, my husband and several great people who just help because they are fantastic. 


Also- there has been a group of people who will remain nameless until they say it's okay to tell you who they are, who have been at my house almost every day for the past couple of weeks. The noise starts at 8am or so, and it goes until after midnight most nights. (The last person here tonight just left at 12:50am) Where there is construction noise, there is construction progress. There are also people who have specific skills that have been willing to come use them where needed, and some that have taken time from their own chaos to spend a few hours helping with ours. One of them even brought dinner with him tonight, which was such a blessing after being gone overnight with Shannon. It's truly been miraculous to have people in our lives that are so dedicated to helping us get things ready for Shannon, and also to see the speed that we are getting things done. We started with bare basement concrete floors and walls. We have made so much progress is such a short amount of time. We even have a working stair lift chair!! I might not be walking up and down the stairs any longer. If you've been to my house to do any of the work here: We truly, truly appreciate it. 
(See how fantastic you are? So very right.)

Shannon is doing so well with her therapies this past week. I know she's working hard to meet the goals they have for her to leave on schedule, it certainly shows in her progress. Please pray for her to increase her daily endurance for therapies and wheeling around the hospital, for her blood pressure to increase and keep her feeling well, for her to rest her body when needed so it can continue to heal, and for her spinal cord to continue to heal. Thank you for all the help offered, skills lent, kind words and talents shared, and especially your love. 

Today's Meme"
And the Disney quote, just some fitting song lyrics from Toy Story: 

You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles
From your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy, you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
You've got a friend in me
If you've got troubles, I've got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together and can see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me
Yeah, you've got a friend in me




Comments