Skip to main content

May 7, 2020

Shannon has always had extremely admirable peaches and cream complexion. When I used to tell her that I was envious of her complexion, she would brush it off. She truly dislikes compliments. Just yesterday, I was complimenting her and she rolled her eyes at me. She has to have the strongest eye muscles from all the eye rolling she does. She does the best eye rolls. (insert Shannon rolling her eyes when she reads this)

Well today- she finished up one of her art projects. I really love it! It's far better than what I could create with my fully functioning body and brain! It figures that Shannon would excel at art even when she's recovering from major injuries. This is of course my favorite scene from Tangled, so it's easy to love the painting.
Today Shannon was doing some from occupational therapy stuff and her blood pressure became problematic again. She was sitting there minding her own "transferring to the shower chair" business, when her blood pressure up and left the building. No big deal. She just blacked out, had all the nearby medical staff come running in and was put back in her bed. It's a pain, this blood pressure issue. So much of Shannon's therapy is slowed down or canceled because of the need to stabilize it before she can do anything. Her body just doesn't know how to keep it normal when she changes from lying to sitting or is sitting for a while. 

The other fun thing Shannon did today was struggle with her body temperature. Again- a product of a spinal cord injury. She's been hot/cold, cold/hot, hot/cold, all day long. Super fun. Shannon's a hot mess! Except for when she's cold...

But the BEST part of today was learning that Shannon only has to be turned in her bed every three hours instead of every two hours. She sleeps on a pressure changing bed, but they shift her position all day and night so she doesn't get pressure sores. They are HIGHLY protective of her skin. We are hoping that when she comes home, she will be up to four hours without shifting so she can get better sleep at night. 

Last night my brother Steve arrived to help build out the basement! I cannot express how happy I am about it! We are down to 4 weeks before Shannon comes home, and we have so much to do. He got the bathroom framed out and we have the plans figured out so that things can keep moving along. 

We also had a fantastic family come over and work on our front walk. They are amazing! They show up, bang out a ton of work, and then go back to their busy lives. I don't know how we would get everything done that we need to without the help of our good friends. We have definitely been blessed with the help we are receiving. 

Tomorrow is another day of Family Training, and I'm super excited about one thing I know Shannon get's to do. Here's the hint: Mario Cart. In the next several weeks, the number of days a week we will be doing training will increase. There is so much to learn about Shannon's care and we need to be confident we are doing things right. I'm super overwhelmed by the whole thing. Shannon is fantastic about it. We both want to make sure that I am just as comfortable with caring for her as Shannon is comfortable with my ability to do things correctly. We will get there, but it's not today! Today I'm not sure I can do a single thing she needs me to correctly. Well, actually, I can make her a sandwich. Not a problem. 

Please pray for Shannon to regain the ability to have her blood pressure stabilize, her congestion to clear up and her coughs to be productive, for her spinal cord to heal, and for Shannon to be able to be positive and see her progress, and to be patient with her caregivers. We can't do this without you!! Thank you for your continued love and support. 

This is probably my favorite of all the memes we put on her calendar! 


Disney quote for Shannon's blood pressure:

Stay calm, it can probably smell fear.  Flynn Rider- Tangled

Comments