Skip to main content

May 22, 2020



By now you know that if there was one thing to eat for the rest of her life, Shannon would probably choose sandwiches. Turkey is definitely high on the favorite list, but she also loves PBJ. We were filling out her menu today, and I remembered she was craving her dad's french dip sandwiches. She asked my thoughts on an onion soup, and I suggested ordering that and a roast beef sandwich. We will all have to wait until next week to see if she liked it! But tonight, she sent me this:
That's a double decker grilled PBJ. I think I need to make one for myself.

Today Rachael and I had family training. Also, today is Rachael's 10th wedding anniversary! So it was especially wonderful of her to spend the day training with Shannon. :) She spent the day with us and then headed home to MD to have a relaxing weekend sans kids with her hubster. My daughter Ryen volunteered to watch Rachael's girls. Adding two active girls to her house of 9 month old twin boys and a VERY active toddler mean Ryen is probably on the verge of insanity at present. Happy anniversary Rachael! (good luck, Ryen)

In PT, Rachael learned to do transfers. Shannon was great at giving the instructions. She didn't fall on the floor or club Rachael in the head with her own head, so it went well. She was on bed, then she was in the chair. Mission accomplished.
On the way out of the gym, Shannon spotted Nigel, so we had to have a dog visit. Nigel's handler was sharing his knowledge of service animals with us, and of course he HAD to mention a service horse. Now I've told Shannon we aren't getting a service goat, dog OR horse. Her case manager was telling her how great this local out patient spinal rehab is, and SHE mentioned that they have an equestrian program, then thought better of having said it when she realized that Shannon may not be able to experience the horses based on her injury, so then she back peddled her way out of the exciting news of horses. Anyone else want to tell Shannon she can mingle with the service animals...for pretend? Thanks.

Next was filling out some fun forms, then rec therapy. It stared with Just Dance.


 Then Wii tennis. For the record- I played right handed, and lost. Shannon did way better. I can't remember who won between her and Rachael. We'll just say Shannon did.
Next was lunch, and a crabby pants Shannon. She was seriously hangry!! Never separate Shannon from her Wawa Mac n cheese!! No, mama! She had to wait for nursing way longer than expected to get her meds and treatment done. No. Just, no. 

After lunch was speech therapy and her therapist played mind games with her. No, really. It's called Mind something...and it helps with problem solving and critical thinking. Rachael joined in, but she said is was hard as well. 

Last we did transfers two and from the shower chair. Shannon and I got in trouble for giggling through part of the instructions. I had to go refill the water pitcher to compose myself. 

I sure love this girl! It's not easy doing all this training. Not on Shannon, who has to do way more physical work, or on me who is trying not to make Shannon do twice as much therapy because I'm there. Rachael does enjoy torturing Shannon, so she just feigns ignorance and makes Shannon do it again. Come up ins for all those years of embarrassing Rachael when she had friends over. (just kidding Shannon- she doesn't do that, usually)



Please pray for Shannon to have the patience with us and with her therapists for these last two weeks of her stay, for her ability to accomplish all that she needs to  while we, too, are learning, and for her continued improved physical state. Thank you for all you do!

Today's meme:


Disney quote:

"Oh, yes, I'm rumbly in my tumbly. Time for something sweet" Winnie the Pooh

Comments