Skip to main content

May 9, 2020

Dinner tonight was fantastic- apparently. Shannon was excited about the pickle on her sandwich. She loves pickles. The problem was that she loved the sandwich, but couldn't remember if it was on the "Special's" menu or the regular one, so she doesn't know if she can order it again. I had helped her pick out her food for the week when I was there Friday- she struggles when there are too many choices- as you can see here. (Why is she stooped on the stove? She's lucky she survived our household) But even I couldn't remember. THEN I remembered I took a photo of the menu to share with all of you- and the mystery was solved. Mini Turkey Hoagie-- a special. So now that Shannon's hopes and dreams of reordering something she finally liked to eat at Magee are squashed, she can resume her role as Official Food Picker. 

It's the weekend, so things are pretty quiet for Shannon. She had PT today. She did some practice sitting on the bed, tossing her feet overboard and hoping they didn't fall too hard. We talked about how it's like Mr. Potato Head on Toy Story when he's trying to lift something and his arms pop off. She said she can't feel them, but she can feel the weight of them when they go over pull on her. So she's worried they will fall off or pull her off too. She doesn't have her regular PT person on the weekend. Today's girl asked Shannon if she people watches the building across the street. Shannon told her she keeps the blinds closed. So the PT walked over and saw a cat, and started describing what the cat was doing. Then she said there was a guy sitting on a sofa on his computer. Oh now he's watching TV, oh now his girlfriend joined him. Now they are getting snuggly. Now she got up. Wait now she's back with a blanket and they are getting more snuggly. Now they closed the blinds. So that was the PT excitement for the day. :) 

In Rec therapy, Shannon was introduced to the reality show called Push Girls. (I googled it) It's about four ladies in LA who are in wheel chairs and how they are dealing with it. Basically- It's the Real Housewives in wheelchairs. So. Huh. It probably has some usefulness. I'm not a reality tv fan, so it's not my thing. Shannon is on the fence about it. 

Other than that- Shannon is still struggling with her lungs being full of gunk and not being able to cough it up. Yesterday her nurse and I told Shannon she just needs to learn to hock a loogie. Apparently, even growing up with brothers, and also being pretty amazing at belching in her younger years, Shannon somehow missed that lesson. You never know when things your parents wished you didn't do will come in handy, and for Shannon, that just isn't a reality here. I blame her brothers for not appropriately educating her. (Also, one of her sisters, who I happen to know is quite adept at it) Meanwhile- there is still the need for the trach, so long as she isn't productively coughing stuff up. There is talk of switching our her trach to a smaller one, in hopes that things can get past it easier; but we don't know yet if that's a plan. 

Shannon has decided that they are going to keep her there forever, or at least until next year, since she can't cough well. I know that 2020 is a really strange year, but I sure hope three weeks isn't when the year ends. I'm quite confident that's when we are going to have her home with us. Ready or not. It's hard to adjust to this new reality, and she's been a champ about it so far, but she has her days that are just plain difficult to handle. I am amazed at her positivity, and her drive; so when she has a tough day and wants to call it quits, she can have it. I've "quit" quite a few times in the last two months. Then we get up and start over. 

I was texting a good friend today who mentioned trials and the refiners fire. I know we are all being made stronger and there is a lot we need to learn through all of this. But after losing some of my garden last night to the dumb May frost, and our heat being off so we don't get building dust on our main floor, I'm too cold to handle trials. I told my friend that I am in the refiners freezer- and He's making me into an ice sculpture. It's a cold world out there right now, and I just need to feel the Son. I'm so happy that tomorrow is the Sabbath, and I don't have to think about basements and insurance companies. I probably won't even go outside to see what else I lose tonight in the frost. I just need a day off from the crazy and to just linger in hope. 

At home today we had angels working in our basement!!!! Oh my goodness.., I'm so excited. In addition to the nicely dug trench in the concrete and the carefully chiseled decline in the slab for the shower drain that Tyler painstakingly did; we have the bathroom and bedroom framed in, and the electrical almost finished!!! Huzzah!!! Now we just need to make it so that time slows down for us or miracles make things happen faster here. Either is fine. Or both. There is so much left to get done, inside and out, but I'm certain it will all come together somehow. If it doesn't, we will figure out a way to have Shannon here in a temporary setting until it gets done. 

Shannon needs relief from her chest congestion and to be able to cough productively, so please pray for that, and also for her to feel peace and understanding in this trial of hers, as well as having the ability to see and learn what she needs to, and to continue to progress in her therapies. I know she is being watched over by our Father in Heaven, and I still see the miracles in her progress continue, even when she doesn't see them. Thank you for reaching out to Shannon, and for your prayers and support. She is truly happy for all the care and concern she is receiving. 

Shannon forgot to take off today's number, so she hasn't even seen this yet; here is today's calendar meme: 


And in honor of Shannon's initiation into the world of phlegm management- this tidbit from Finding Nemo:

"Nemo, newcomer of orange and white, you have been called forth to the summit of Mt. Wannahockaloogie to join with us in the fraternal bonds of tankhood!" -Bloat, the puffer fish




Comments

  1. God will strengthen you and provide for you as you walk this path.

    Romans 5:3-5 (NIV)

    Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment